I can’t believe it’s already the last week of January. Which means it’s time to post about my January goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes. My goal was to completely finish my Riley Blake Challenge quilt.
Done! It’s been mostly done for the last 2 weeks. I was just really dragging my feet on sewing the binding down. I normally do all my binding by machine. When I first started quilting I didn’t care very much for hand sewing and I found this great tutorial on machine binding. The more you use this technique the cleaner it looks and I’ve gotten pretty good at it. For some reason though I wanted to try hand sewing the binding down on this quilt and I guess I was waiting for a “hand sewing mood” to make that happen. Well, that finally happened and I got her finished last Friday. I do like the invisible look of the hand sewing, but I feel as though it isn’t nearly as secure as it would be if I had used the machine binding technique. Maybe that would change if I had more practice and time to improve my hand sewing technique.